Re: aio

From: Bill Huey (billh@tierra.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 22:07:16 EST

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:45:27PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> So they'll get paid to implement and support it, and that is precisely
> what is happening right now. And the whole point I'm trying to make
> is that that is where it's realm is right now.
>
> If AIO was so relevant+sexy we'd be having threads of discussion about
> the AIO implementation instead of threads about how relevant it is or
> is not for the general populace. Wouldn't you concur? :-)

I attribute the lack of technical discussion to the least common denomiator
culture of the Linux community and not the merits of the actual technical
system itself. That's what linux-aio@ is for...

And using lkml as a AIO forum is probably outside of the scope of this list
and group.

> The people doing Java server applets are such a small fraction of the
> Linux user community.

Yeah, but the overall Unix community probably has something different to say
about that, certainly. Even in BSD/OS, this JVM project I've been working on is
recognized as one of the most important systems second (probably) only to the
kernel itself. And, IMO, they have a more balanced view of this language
system and the value of it economically as a money making platform instead of
showing off to their peers. It's a greatly anticipated project in all of the
BSDs.

That's my semi-obnoxious take on it. ;-)

bill