Re: aio

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 01:55:25 EST

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 01:46, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 10:00:40PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> > No I'm not talking about phttpd nor zeus, I'm talking about the guy
> > who did the hacks where he'd put the http headers + content into a
> > seperate file and just sendfile() that to the client.
> >
> > I forget what his hacks were named, but there certainly was a longish
> > thread on this list about it about 1 year ago if memory serves.
>
> Would that be Fabio Riccardi's X15 stuff?

Yes. I was about to reply to this effect.

X15 was a userspace httpd that operated using the Tux-designed
constructs -- sendfile and such. IIRC, Ingo actually pointed out some
things Fabio did were non-RFC (sending the static headers may of been
one of them, since the timestamp was wrong) and Fabio made a lot of
changes. X15 seemed promising, especially since it trumpeted that Linux
"worked" without sticking things in kernel-space, but I don't remember
if we ever saw source (let alone a free license)?

        Robert Love