Re: aio

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 02:27:45 EST

On December 20, 2001 06:39 am, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:47:17 -0500
> An X server that doesn't have to make a syscall to find out that
> more data has arrived?
>
> Who really needs this kind of performance improvement? Like anyone
> really cares if their window gets the keyboard focus or a pixel over a
> AF_UNIX socket a few nanoseconds faster. How many people do you think
> believe they have unacceptable X performance right now and that
> select()/poll() syscalls overhead is the cause? Please get real.

I care, I always like faster graphics.

> People who want graphics performance are not pushing their data
> through X over a filedescriptor, they are either using direct
> rendering in the app itself (ala OpenGL) or they are using shared
> memory for the bulk of the data (ala Xshm or Xv extensions).

You're probably overgeneralizing. Actually, I run games on my server and
display the graphics on my laptop. It works. I'd be happy if it was faster.

I don't see right off how AIO would make that happen though. Ben, could you
please enlighten me, what would be the mechanism? Are other OSes doing X
with AIO?

--
Daniel