Re: proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, addlinux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

From: Giacomo Catenazzi (cate@debian.org)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 07:09:48 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
> Absolutely no way. Forwarding "all the little other lists" into
> linux-kernel is not going to make things better.

But creating a linux-bug list with this policy:

- The stable kernel series point to this lists
- Annoncement to new kernel point to the normal list
    (the bug to newer kernel are classified 'development')
- Kernel maintainers post to the bug list the 'annonces'
    the of solved bugs
- All discussion about kernel series 0.01, 2.0 and 2.2
    (bug hunting series) should go in this new list

In this manner we:
- have a bug tracking system (a' la Linux)
- We can grep quikly to see if a new bug to an
    old kernel is aready closed.

The new list, IMHO, doesn't duplicate trafic,
but I think it don't reduce much of linux-kernel traffic.
(But provide a quicker references of the know bugs).

     giacomo