Re: File copy system call proposal

From: Svein Ove Aas (svein@crfh.dyndns.org)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 08:38:50 EST

On Thursday 20. December 2001 11:09, Pavel Machek wrote:

> They need to get a clue. No need to work around their bugs in kernel.
>
> Anyway copyfile syscall would be nice for other reasons. (cp -a kernel
> tree then apply patch without waiting for physical copy to be done
> would be handy).
> Pavel

Never mind that it might save a great deal of space...
I often operate with three/more different kernel trees, but the differences
are often trivial.
If the VFS created a COW node when I use cp -a I would, obviously, save a
great deal of space; this goes for numerous other source trees too.

Now there's a real world example for you.

- Svein Ove Aas