Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 13:52:13 EST

Steven Cole <scole@lanl.gov>:
> I see that in the very latest Configure.help version, 2.76,
> available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/ Eric has decided to
> follow the following standard: IEC 60027-2, Second edition, 2000-11,
> Letter symbols to be used in electrical technology - Part 2:
> Telecommunications and electronics. and has changed all the
> abbreviations for Kilobyte (KB) to KiB, Megabyte (MB) to MiB, etc,
> etc.

This change came as a patch from David Woodhouse. I think the new
abbreviations are awful ugly, myself, but they do have the virtue of
not being ambiguous. So I swallowed hard and took the patch.

The right to buy weapons is the right to be free. -- A.E. Van Vogt, "The Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/