Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Nicholas Knight (nknight@pocketinet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 14:07:58 EST

On Thursday 20 December 2001 11:00 am, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Randolph Bentson wrote:
> > I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Not enough people
> > know that KB stands for 1000B. I know through experience that
> > KB is often used for 1024B. The introduction of KiB makes it
> > clear that 1024B is intended.
>
> Given the confusion its raised in this thread already, this strikes
> me as a particularly bad change. Some of those definitions in
> Configure.help have been there for the better part of 10 years

My *mind* has had those definitions hard-coded for the better part of 8
years. This is only going to serve to confuse newcomers (and for that
matter, anyone who doesn't read this thread.)

to: linux-kernel
from: Joe Newbie[1-areallyfrigginbignumber]
date: mid-2.5 continuing well beyond any foreseeable date.
message: "What's a GiB? And why are the Men in Black taking over the
kernel?"

I leave you with that thought.