Re: [OT] util-linux-2.11n

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 17:37:11 EST

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> >> Very off-topic: FSF promotes free software, but produces
> >> message translation files with header
> >> # Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> >> and without any indication that these files can be freely
> >> modified and distributed. No GPL or anything. Very unfree.
>
> > Ask RMS... and he is likely to fix that.
>
> I did. You may well be right. We'll see.

ObMount: now that MS_MOVE is in 2.5 (and submitted for merge in 2.4)
mount --move <oldpath> <newpath> would be nice...

Effect of mount(old, new, NULL, MS_MOVE, NULL): subtree mounted at
"old" is taken to "new". Move is atomic and takes all references
to objects in a subtree with it - opened files, current directories,
etc. Requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN.

Errors:
        requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN (EPERM)
        old and new must exist (ENOENT)
        old must be a mountpoint (EINVAL)
        new must not be a descendent of old (ELOOP)
        old must not be the absolute root (EINVAL)
        if old is directory new must be a directory and vice versa (EINVAL)
+ usual set of errors from lookups for old and new (EFAULT if either
is not a valid address, ENOTDIR if component in the middle is not a
directory, ELOOP if too many links, EACCES if no execute permissions
on some component in the middle, ENOMEM if someone's out of memory, EIO
if fs feels like that, etc. - the usual)