Re: [OT] DRM OS

From: Marco Ermini (markoer@markoer.org)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 17:40:45 EST

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:44:41 -0200 (BRST)
Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 09:05:55PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> > > Remember DMCA ? Remember SSSCA ?
> >
> > I watch DVD's with DeCSS. Come and get me.
>
> Punishable by fines of up to $500,000 and 5 years
> in prison, per violation.

But not in Europe. Only in the USA. Algorithms may not be subjected to patents
in Europe (by now).

Anyway, maybe you may not get catched in the intimacy of your room. But I
could understand that it's not acceptable as a legitimate proposal for a
worldwide used OS, as Linux is, to suggest to every single user to violate the
law in the intimacy of their room to be able to use it. I may feel safe in my
own room and I may use these tools if I'm able to, but I can't propose to
anyone to use these such tools, that's the point.

bye

--
Marco Ermini
http://www.markoer.org