Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.hel p.

From: ncw@axis.demon.co.uk
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 18:03:52 EST

nknight@pocketinet.com wrote:
> Someone without a lot of experience: I have a 1MB connection. (this
> user has a 1 Megabit connection)
>
> Someone with experience: I have a 1mb/Mb connection. (This person has a
> 1 megabit connection has used a "standard" abbreviation.)

Actually a 1 Mb/s connection is 1024000 bits/second (ie not 1000000 or
1048576 bits/second).

This came about because a basic voice channel is 64kb/s = 64000
bits/second. These are aggregated up into 32 channels at a time which
is known as an E1 in Europe. An E1 is known as a 2 "meg" connection
though it is 2048000 bits/s. Perhaps the correct appellation is 2
kkib/s?

Poor confused telecoms engineers ;-)

My personal view is that the kiB MiB GiB etc are very ugly but we
should grin and bear it to banish this decimal binary confusion
forever. Either that or put a note somewhere saying that all k, M and
G are 2^10, 2^20 and 2^30 and forget about it for a generation...

--
Nick Craig-Wood
ncw@axis.demon.co.uk