Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Mike Jagdis (jaggy@purplet.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 10:48:22 EST

Rene Engelhard wrote:

> Christian Groessler wrote:
>>So, is it 1/1024 or 1/1000 bytes ? :-)
>>

> 1/1024. Because we are talking about byte.

Bollocks. How can I put this politely? Don't anyone ever send me
a CV unless you know the technical basics!

Go look up "SI binary prefix" and "SI prefix" on Google. You might
not _like_ the binary prefixes (I don't either) but they're what's
been standardized and they're unambiguous. It does no good to claim
that it's enough that *you* know what you mean. This isn't Alice in
Wonderland (you can look that reference up in your spare time :-) ).

                                Mike

P.S. After you've understood the SI system you should be able to
tell us what the binary prefix equivalent for m is and why K as
a prefix is a mark of stupidity...