Re: Linux 2.4.17

From: John Alvord (jalvo@mbay.net)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 23:12:39 EST

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:09:09 +0100 (CET), "David Gomez"
<davidge@viadomus.com> wrote:

>> > final:
>> >
>> > - Fix more loopback deadlocks (Andrea Arcangeli)
>> > - Make Alpha with Nautilus chipset and
>> > Irongate chipset configuration compile
>> > correctly (Michal Jaegermann)
>> >
>> > rc2:
>> >
>> > - Fix potential oops with via-rhine (Andrew Morton)
>> > - sysvfs: mark inodes as bad in case of read
>>
>> Um, what happened to the idea of 'no changes between the last
>> release candidate and final'?
>
>I think the policy is 'not to add unnecessary changes' , not 'no changes'.
>
>> I'm disappointed; I thought we were entering a new era of
>> release discipline in the stable kernel.
>
>I'd be dissapointed if Marcelo had released and stable kernel still
>with the loopback deadlocks. And i don't think the alpha compile fix is
>going to break anything.

One possibility would be to release 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-pre1
simultaneously, with the otherwise last minute changes. There have
been so many brown-bag bugs introduced by the last changes, there
everyone is or should be nervous. Immediately launching the next -pre
series will help keep the momentum moving while preserving the more
certain knowledge of the quality of the last -rc level.

john alvord