Re: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Nicholas Knight (nknight@pocketinet.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 02:21:11 EST

On Saturday 22 December 2001 03:22 pm, Per Jessen wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:18:08 +0100 (MET), Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> >This might be a standard, but _it_is_not_adopted_anywhere! (at least
> > I haven't seen it anywhere (I might be blind)).
> >I would rather call standard something which is adopted in real
> > life.
>
> No, that would be a socalled defacto standard. Ie. not necessarily a
> standard proposed and recommended by a standards body. For instance,
> you may think that the UK using pounds and ounces is standard - after
> all they are both being used in real life. But it is contrary to the
> standard. (as given by the SI system).

Not anymore. Apparently it is now illiegal in the UK to use Imperial
measurements (or for that matter, anything but standard metric) in
transactions. If people are still using the Imperial system in day to
day life, they won't be very soon (and yes, this has infact been
enforced at least once that I've heard of.)

I just eagerly await the day that the U.S. government decides to stick
its ass in and tell U.S. citizens (and whatever other countries they
decide to pressure into agreeing with them) what we can and can't use
to abbreviate 1024bytes, since we're all too busy arguing over wether
or not to abide by the defacto standard that has been in use longer
than I've been ALIVE (which yes, means I've not been alive very long.)

Let me know when we're done fighting about wether or not we should
confuse everyone (further) that tries to configure their first kernel.