Re: writing device drivers

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 15:15:50 EST

Hi Eliezer.

> where can I find a good paper , or something good that could teach
> me how to write device drivers ?? I really would like to know ,
> mainly network device drivers , for example , how could I re-write
> the rtl8139 driver ?

A good starting point is the book "Linux Device Drivers" published by
O'Reilly Associates (with which I have no relationship other than as a
satisfied customer, depite my name). Details can be found at...

        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/

...regarding the second edition thereof - I have the first edition
myself, which covers the 2.0 kernel series, but I believe the second
edition covers the 2.4 series kernels, SMP and USB, all of which were
missing from the original.

Best wishes from Riley.