Re: aio

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 04:36:40 EST

Bill Huey wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:06:29PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
>
>>Firstly, you say this as if server java applets do not function at all
>>or with acceptable performance today. That is not true for the vast
>>majority of cases.
>>
>>If java server applet performance in all cases is dependent upon AIO
>>(it is not), that would be pretty sad. But it wouldn't be the first
>>

>Java is pretty incomplete in this area, which should be addressed to a
>great degree in the new NIO API.
>
>The core JVM isn't dependent on this stuff per se for performance, but
>it is critical to server side programs that have to deal with highly
>scalable IO systems, largely number of FDs, that go beyond the current
>expressiveness of select()/poll().
>
>This is all standard fare in *any* kind of high performance networking
>application where some kind of high performance kernel/userspace event
>delivery system is needed, kqueue() principally.
>
>>time I've heard crap like that. There is propaganda out there telling
>>people that 64-bit address spaces are needed for good java
>>performance. Guess where that came from? (hint: they invented java
>>and are in the buisness of selling 64-bit RISC processors)
>>

>What ? oh god. HotSpot is a pretty amazing compiler and it performs well.
>Swing does well now, but the lingering issue in Java is the shear size
>of it and possibly GC issues. It pretty clear that it's going to get
>larger, which is fine since memory is cheap.

I remind you: ORACLE 9i is requiring half a gig as a minimum just due to the
use of the CRAPPY PIECE OF SHIT written in the Java, called, you guess
it: Just the
bloody damn Installer. Java is really condemned just due to the fact
that both terms: speed
and memmory usage are both allways only *relative* to other systems.

And yes GC's have only one problem - they try to give a general solution
for problems
which can be easly prooven to be mathmematically insolvable. The
resulting undeterministic
behaviour of applications is indeed the thing which is hurting most.