Re: State of the new config & build system

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 20:57:58 EST

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:47:23 -0800,
Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:41:48PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:37:39 -0800,
>> Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:
>> >A couple of questions:
>> >
>> >a) will 2.5 be as fast as the current system? Faster?
>>
>> At the moment kbuild 2.5 ranges from 10% faster on small builds to 100%
>> slower on a full kernel build.
>
>I don't understand why it would be slower. Maybe I'm clueless but I thought
>you were moving more towards a single makefile system

It uses a single generated Makefile, that is not the problem. The slow
code is extracting the dependencies.

Unlike the broken make dep, kbuild 2.5 extracts accurate dependencies
by using the -MD option of cpp and post processing the cpp list. The
post processing code is slow because the current design requires every
compile to read a complete list of all the files, giving O(n^2)
effects. Mark 2 of the core code will use a shared database with
concurrent update so post processing is limited to looking up just the
required files, instead of reading the complete list every time.