Re: State of the new config & build system

From: Viktor Rosenfeld (rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 22:34:58 EST

Legacy Fishtank wrote:

> Kernel building is not for newbies.

Crap. Back in 1995, I had to compile a kernel to get Linux installed,
because the packaged kernel did not include support for ATAPI CD-ROM
drives. I had no Unix experience whatsoever, basically what you call a
newbie.

And, no, the situation has not changed. There are

- people/cooperations without Linux kernel compilation experience, who
  might need a feature that's only available in a development kernel,
- *newbies*, that are generally interested in learning Linux in all its
  ways.

Your attitude strikes me as unnessicarily elitist.

Cheers,
Viktor

--
Viktor Rosenfeld