Re: You WIN ...

From: Willem Riede (wriede@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 16:07:52 EST

On 2001.12.31 07:58 Jens Axboe wrote:

> (sat on this for a few days not to boil over)
>
> On Sat, Dec 29 2001, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> >
> > Jens,
> >
> > You win -- it is not worth trying to work with you at this time.
> > All you and I have done is become bitter enemies.

I'm not sure that entering this debate is a good idea, but it is
so sad to see two such valuable contributers to Linux bicker
with each other...

On the infrequent occasion that I had to exchange email with Andre,
I've realized it is very hard to communicate with him (sorry Andre),
so I understand how Jens must be feeling.

On the other hand - and that may just be my problem, as I don't claim
to have enough expertise - I've read Suparna's and Jens' notes,
reviewed the code changes and still don't understand where the
whole ide/scsi/block/char i/o re-design is going. (I can see what has
been done - that's well documented, but not what's coming or why - a
discussion of the decomposition in layers, what is each' responsibility
and what's the api between them, simplifications/improvements that
result)

Likewise, I've not been able to discern from Andre's posts what it is
he's trying to do. No idea how that violates what Jens wants.

But Andre is clearly an unrivaled expert in his area, and the recent
results posted to this list are impressive, so I understand that
Andre feels frustrated not to be able to get those improvements into
the kernel.

As a linux user, I certainly want the benefit of what both parties have
to offer. It would have to satisfy Linus' taste, fit Jens' design, and
realize Andre's improvements. There ought to be a way for that to happen.

Now, if only I was smart enough to figure that one out :-(

Regards, Willem Riede.
(maintainer of osst tape driver)