Re: Why would a valid DVD show zero files on Linux?

From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 18:49:33 EST

As I'm learning, this is complex. Some DVD's, Alan says, have differing
udf and iso9660 filesystems for copy protection reasons. They spoof windows
into not allowing easy access to some files. Maybe your VCD issue is similar.

Try mounting the disc both ways (udf and iso9660) and compare the filesystems.

I'm told windows prefers udf to iso9660. Linux does it the other way 'round.
Thus a disc that works perfectly on Windows shows zero files on Linux
(confusing users and sysadmins alike, since prior to today, the man pages
for mount and fstab were silent on the issue).

                        -Bryce

PS: Thanks for being the first person to also think users should not have
to know about the udf vs. iso9660 issue.

It looks like util-linux, mount is the place to fix this:
ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/home/aeb/linux-local/utils/util-linux/

See also http://www.osta.org/ , the Optical Storage Technology Association.

--
Hi! I'm a do-it-yourself virus... please delete 4 files at random
from your hard drive.  Pass me on to all your friends.