Re: [OT] Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help.

From: Jonathan Amery (jdamery@chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 13:02:41 EST

In article <a0133l$2ln$1@cesium.transmeta.com> you write:
>And all of us count that way. Oh yes, the English unit is *so*
>attuned to nature... this is why we have different measures for dry
>volume, wet volume... avoirdupois versus troy weight...
>oh yes, energy
>is measures in BTUs and power in horsepower... what is the conversion
>factor between them (it has the dimension of time?)

 I think you've just answered your previous question - there are more
than one because its generally more convenient. If you're using
horsepower for power then you should probably be using
horsepower-hours rather than BTUs (which are an admittedly silly
unit for most things).

You have: horsepower hours
You want: btu
        * 2544.4336
        / 0.00039301478

>> Finally, Farhenheit units are smaller so that they make more convenient
>> divisions: Eg.
>Bullsh*t. They seem more natural to you because you're more used to
>them. Anyone who hasn't grown up on the system think that Fahrenheit
>is the ultimate in lunacy.

 Centigrade/Celcius have little to recomend them either - Kelvin is
the way forward, or Rankine.

 Jonathan.