Re: Two hdds on one channel - why so slow?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 14:31:40 EST

Brian,

This was true in the past and with many older drivers. However when and
if the new driver I have is adpoted, it will make SCSI cry. So please
stop polluting the issue.

Let me be as objective as I can be.

I built a special Mylex 3-channel raid 10 systems using 6 15K drive at
Ultra160. Given that I was clever, I was able to push that system to read
and write at 170MB/sec. I was very impressed by this performance, however
this was hardware raid, caching of 256MB, and 66/64 pci bus. This was a
dual PIII w/ 2GB of EEC-Buffered-Registered.

Now I have managed to use two hosts w/ 4 channels no caching controller,
no hardware raid, 4 7200RPM drives and software raid 0. I was able to
push 109MB/sec writing and 167MB/sec reading.

Also under a similar environment, I was able to, using a single card, 4
drives, not hardware-raid, no caching controller, reach 90MB/sec writing
and reading was about 78MB/sec.

Now lets adjust cost of componets and SCSI loses big.
Once there are 10K ATA drives in the market, and none exist that I know of
to date even in beta, then we can retest .

In the meantime here is another dose of reality.

http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/817/index.html

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development