Re: system.map

From: Timothy Covell (timothy.covell@ashavan.org)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 16:13:55 EST

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 14:54, Keith Owens wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:26:29 -0600,
>
> Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@ashavan.org> wrote:
> > Of course, you can copy over the new System.map
> >file to /boot, but their is no (easy) way of having more than
> >one active version via "lilo" or "grub". And that could be
> >considered a deficiency of the Linux OS.
>
> Current versions of ps look for System.map in
>
> $PS_SYSTEM_MAP
> /boot/System.map-`uname -r`
> /boot/System.map
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/System.map
> /usr/src/linux/System.map
> /System.map
>
> Copy System.map to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/System.map after make
> modules_install, remove any old map files from /boot and / and you
> don't need any symlink or bootloader tricks.

I saw that in the man page for "ps". I think that your idea makes sense.

However, I'm concerned about searching in "/usr/src/linux" for it.
Linus has taken great pains to point out that we shouldn't be building
our kernels in /usr/src/linux, it would seem that this is reenforcing a
mistake.

> The 2.5 kernel build asks if you want to install System.map and
> .config. If you say yes then the default location for these files in
> 2.5 is /lib/modules/`uname -r`/{System.map,.config}.

I knew that I was trying to download the 2.5.x series for a good reason. ;-)
My bandwidth hasn't let me get one full download yet, but I've got
all the 2.4.x patches that I could need.

--
timothy.covell@ashavan.org.