Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 22:35:23 EST

Brian Gerst <bgerst@didntduck.org>:
> > Not in this case. If the DMI read fails, the worst-case result is the
> > user sees some ISA extra questions.
>
> No, the worst case is if the DMI read says no ISA slots when there
> really are some, and the user misses a driver that he needs.

Nobody has told me this is a real failure case yet. To cause a problem,
the situation would have to be that DMI read fails to detect a card in
use in an ISA slot. It's OK if it reports no slots when all slots are
empty.

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed. -- Jeff Snyder - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/