Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 23:15:41 EST

Brian Gerst <bgerst@didntduck.org>:
> > Nobody has told me this is a real failure case yet. To cause a problem,
> > the situation would have to be that DMI read fails to detect a card in
> > use in an ISA slot. It's OK if it reports no slots when all slots are
> > empty.
>
> Well, I just popped in an old 3com 509TP network card (non-PnP) into my
> main box and dmidecode still failed to show the single ISA slot, only 4
> PCI and 1 AGP.

I realize this may sound like a dumb question...but are sure the card works
and is not just an inert mass o' silicon? I have couple of 3c509s knocking
around here myself and I'm not at all sure they're alive.

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1823 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/