Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 00:30:12 EST

Dave Jones wrote:

> o Aunt Tilley.
> Vendors already ship an array of kernels which should make it
> unnecessary for her to have to build a kernel.

There is a clear advantage to kernel developers in making things as
easy as possible for Aunt Tilley to use our latest output.

If the difficulty of installing the latest kernel prevents her from
doing that, she loses. And so do we, because we don't get to know
if we've fixed her problem.

If Eric can get the entire download-config-build-install process
down to a single mouse click, he'll have done us all a great service.