Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 13:28:58 EST

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > Thats why I also suggested using lspci and looking for an ISA bridge.
> > If you have no PCI its probably ISA. If you have no PCI/ISA bridge its
> > very very unlikely to be ISA
>
> Uh, no. Almost all 486 PCI boards and early Pentium/K5/K6 boards have
> the PCI bus hanging of the VLB or other local bus, and on those ISA
> isn't behind an ISA bridge. These chipsets do have ISA but no ISA
> bridge.

 These can be checked for explicitly as the list isn't likely to grow. I
can dig a few Intel docs for IDs of 486-class PCI chipsets that have no
PCI-ISA bridge if they'd be useful.

 Also note that there are PCI-ISA bridges that are reported as "non-VGA
unclassified" devices as they predate PCI 2.0. The SIO (82378IB/ZB) comes
to mind here. The bridge is used in certain models of Alpha systems as
well. The bridges would need to be listed by IDs, too.