Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 13:30:55 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> Nobody I am aware of uses 64bit int default types on a 64bit platform. Its
> a waste of memory, bus bandwidth and instruction bandwidth. In almost
> all cases a 32bit int is quite adequate and since size_t can be 64bit when
> int is 32bit life works out nicely.

Thanks for the education.

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and all that is necessary to close the circle of our felicities. -- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/