Patch?: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/video kdev_t compilation fixes

From: Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 02:16:27 EST

        Most (all?) of the frame buffer drivers in
linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/video have a kdev_t compilation error,
because they try to set their fb_info->node field to -1 (it is
a kdev_t). Shortly thereafter, regsiter_framebuffer sets it to
a more useful value. So far, I have been unable to spot any
code that relies on fb_info->node being initialized to a
particular value prior to the call to register_framebuffer,
although I have not looked very hard. What I did see was
some "???" comments beside some of the initializations to -1.
I suspsect that this is just useless initialization.

        Anyhow, deleting all of those initializations to -1
allows all of the framebuffer drivers to compile, which is
that this patch does. I have also included a tiny patch to
a commented out line in include/linux/fb.h, updating it to
use minor() instead of MINOR(), in case it is every uncommented.

        I am still a long way from getting pre8 to run, so I
have not tested change. Can anyone point out a place in
drivers/framebuffer that relies on fb_info->node being set to -1,
or minor(fb_info->node) being -1?

        By the way, don't worry if a few of the line offsets in this
patch are off. That's because of some other changes I have in my
drivers/framebuffer (which I have previous posted, specifically
PCI ID tables, fb font modularization with demand loading, and the
fb core as a loadable module).

--
Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034