Re: DMA conflicts with soundcard for ide driver via82cxxx

From: Edward Stempel (eazstempel@cal009001.student.utwente.nl)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 12:03:59 EST

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:17:28PM +0100, Edward Stempel wrote:

> > > You'd have to tell me all other settings in your setup first so I can
> > > guess the cause. What options do you use? Is DMA enabled automatically?
> > > Etc, etc ...
> >
> > I am not sure which settings you need. But I compiled a kernel with:
> > - Generic PCI IDE chipset support
> > - Sharing PCI IDE interrupt support
> > - Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
> > - Use PCI DMA by default when available
> > - VIA82CXXX chipset support
> >
> > After booting this kernel hdparm -v reports that I am using dma, but
> > hdparm -t only reports about 5 MB/s data transfer rate. When I switch the
> > using of dma off and on with hdparm -d the transfer rate becomes about
> > 40MB/s
>
> What does hdparm -i say before and after? Is there any difference (the
> asterisk)?

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this behaviour again. (I just did a reboot) I am
not sure what happened, as I am using the same kernel and bios-setup. Kind
of strange non-deterministic behaviour here. However, as far as can
remember (it has been some days ago) I did not see something different in
hdparm -i before ore after the switching of and on. Both times udma-5 were
reported by hdparm.

As I cannot reproduce this behaviour now, I suggest we forget about
it. Maybe I did something wird when this happened. I will contact you
whenever I notice the same behaviour again.