Re: new eepro driver seems broken

From: aris (aris@cathedrallabs.org)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 10:27:52 EST

> I assume there is the same version of eepro driver in 2.2.21-pre2 and 2.4.17.
>
> Version included in kernel 2.2.20 is broken, becouse sometime ethernet card
> "dies" - I can't ping it from outside. However, when eepro card is in server,
> and I ping workstation from there - card works again. So my current solution is
> script which pings everything in localnet all the time.
yes, it's broken

> But new version works much worse for me. In 2.2.21-pre2 and 2.4.17 card never
> dies - it always work, but there are many problems with connections. I thought
> it's problem with MASQ, but it behaves exactly the same on 2.2 and 2.4. When I
> send single file by scp - I have transfer bigger than 100KB/s. But when I watch
> WWW or use p2p - transfer is very small or stops.
the 0.13 version had this mention: become stable. performance is scheduled
for next versions. you may try eepro.c from 2.2.13 kernel but as i could see
it's less stable than 0.13 version.

> Driver from 2.2.20 works bad, newer driver works bad, too, but in another way.
> Where can I find older releases of eepro driver? How can I contact author
> (email from eepro.c doesn't work) ? Is anyone still using EtherExpress ISA 10 ?
i think there's nobody else working on this driver right now. you may send
questions to lkml with a copy to me.

--
aris