Re: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)

From: Alex Bligh - linux-kernel (linux-kernel@alex.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 16:15:46 EST

>> Here's what I want to have in my initramfs:
>> - /sbin/hotplug
>> - /sbin/modprobe
>> - modules.dep (needed for modprobe, but is a text file)
>>
>> What does everyone else need/want there?
>
> It is planned to move partition discovery to userspace which would then
> instruct the kernel of the positions of various partitions.
>
> The program(s) to do this will need to be in pretty much everyones
> initramfs...

What with mounting root via NFS, hence having to set up
IP et al, mounting various different
partition types, avoiding the kludge of fsck etc.,
being able to recover from a corrupted root, you
might as well just cpio up your /sbin and stick
that in, and be able to run single user mode without
a 'normal' root. <FX: ducks & runs>

seriously point: ls /sbin gives a /maximum/ range I'd
have thought.

--
Alex Bligh