Re: Where's all my memory going?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 17:36:13 EST

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > However, over time, (30-45 minutes), more and more memory seems to just
> > disappear from the system until it looks like this, (note that swap is
> > hardly ever touched):
>
> I don't see any disappearing memory. Remember that Linux will
> intentionally keep memory filled with cache pages when it is possible.

Matt's system seems to go from 900 MB free to about
300 MB (free + cache).

I doubt qmail would eat 600 MB of RAM (it might, I
just doubt it) so I'm curious where the RAM is going.

Matt, do you see any suspiciously high numbers in
/proc/slabinfo ?

regards,

Rik

--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document