Re: [Q] Looking for an emulation for CMOV* instructions.

From: Timothy Covell (timothy.covell@ashavan.org)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 20:42:06 EST

On Thursday 10 January 2002 19:09, Martin Eriksson wrote:
> [...]

IIRC, it is a standard according to the FHS. Please let's not get started
on the RPM v. Apt debate.

> Maybe Ronald should start a new kernel tree with patches for goofy admins
> ;D

You know, it's funny how people think. I'm sure that we all have had some
ideas which appear goofy to others, esp. at first blush. I think that
creativity requires that thoughts sometimes be juxtaposed in a goofy manner;
usually it creates garbage, but sometimes it's like peanut butter and
chocolate. :-)

That much said, a good system administrator should be able to handle this
situation without having to rely on RPM. The fact that that RedHat ships
everything defaulted to i386 (except the kernel) is just one more proof of
good thinking. If you know what you're doing, then Mandrake i586 is good,
but can be a rude awakening for newbies, which is Mandrake's target it
would seem.

IMHO, for ordinary day to day tasks, the gains from compiling -m[4|5|6] are
not worth the effort and extra administrative work.

--
timothy.covell@ashavan.org.