Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: Francois Romieu (romieu@cogenit.fr)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 17:25:22 EST

[Cc: trimmed]

Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au> :
[mini-ll]
> And guess what? Nobody has tested the damn thing, so it's going
> nowhere.

It allows me to del^W read NFS-mounted mail behind a linux router while I
copy files locally on the router. If I don't apply mini-ll to the router,
it's a "server foo not responding, still trying" fest. You know what
"interactivity feel" means when it happens.

If someone suspects the hardware is crap, it's a PIV motherboard with
built-in Promise20265 and four IBM IC35L060AVER07-0 on their own channel.
Each disk has been able to behave normally during RAID1 rebuild.

Without mini-ll:
  well choosen file I/O => no file I/O, no networking, no console, *big pain*.
With mini-ll:
  well choosen file I/O => *only* those I/O suck (less than before btw).

--
Ueimor