Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 20:17:11 EST

On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 19:50, Alan Cox wrote:

> Do you want a clean simple solution or complex elegance ? For 2.4 I definitely
> favour clean and simple. For 2.5 its an open debate

Make no mistake, I do not intend to see preempt-kernel in 2.4. I will,
however, continue to maintain the patch for endusers and such that use
it. A proper in-kernel solution for 2.4 in my opinion in mini-ll,
perhaps extend with any other obviously-completely-utterly sane bits
from full-ll.

For 2.5, however, I tout preempt as the answer. This does not mean just
preempt. It means a preemptible kernel as a basis for beginning
low-latency works in manners other than explicit scheduling statements.

        Robert Love