Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution

From: Giacomo Catenazzi (cate@debian.org)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 07:30:38 EST

Michael Lazarou (ETL) wrote:

>>The kernel's device drivers have, of course, to include probe
>>routines, and those hard-compiled in typically log the presence of
>>their hardware to /var/log/mesg when it loads. By scanning that
>>file, we in effect get to use those probes.
>>

> Doesn't this mean that you would need a fully functional kernel
> before you get to run the autoconfigurator?

Not a problem. Autoconfiguration is made to help configuring
the kernel, before to compile it. So you need a linux working
machine (actually you can cross-compile).

Our task is to allow user to compile a kernel, with the
needed drivers, without the non used drivers.

If you want a good running kernel image:
   check the kernels in your distribution.
If you want to compile a general running kernel:
   use the kernel sources in your distribution (
   with your distribution's .config), or compile
   the std kernel with your distribution's .config

If you want a working kernel to boot Linux in your

   old/new/non-x86 machine: check the installation
   note of your distribution. Use special kernel (from
   your distribution,...)

You see: different task needs different tools.
Maybe we can merge some problems, but how? why?

[I still have a working version of autoconfigure in
shell, if some "boot-floppies" people need some
of our detection.]

But for old ISA cards (and some newer laptop) there is
only one method to find the right *kernel*:
boot and try (and changing kernels, parameters,...)
[check: installation document and internet resources].

We don't want a boot and retry for our configuration,
so let use the (incomplete) infos from kernel.

        giacomo