Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 11:16:08 EST

Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>:
> > With this change, generating a report on ISA hardware and other
> > facilities configured in at boot time would be trivial. This would
> > make the autoconfigurator much more capable. Best of all, the only
> > change required to accomplish this would be safe edits of print format
> > strings.
>
> Better: create a /proc/driver and every driver will register in it.
> This file can help some bug report (and not only autoconfigurator).

That would be fine with me. But wouldn't it involve adding a new
initialization-time call to every driver.

The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of. -- Albert Gallatin, Oct 7 1789 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/