Re: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 14:14:40 EST

> > it did last week". Random mechanics hating car owners don't do engine tuning
> > jobs or fit turbochargers.
>
> No...but they do change their own oil and antifreeze. Upgrading your
> kernel should be as simple as changing your oil.

Yeah. I go to the garage versus I click "up 2 date". I don't mix custom
oils.

> > Secondly we've established we can pick the right CPU for the kernel reliably
> > that is seperate to modules.
>
> Right, but that doesn't get you a recompiled binary with extended instructions
> in it.

It does. Once you have picked the required processor type you will get the
right instructions. Except for the Athlon, Winchip and maybe the PIV
I've seen little evidence it matters. The Debian folk claim its worth < 1%
and I don't doubt them.