Re: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 16:11:24 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I have all along assumed that a well-designed RT application would delegate
> > all these operations to SCHED_OTHER worker processes, probably via shared
> > memory/shared mappings. So in the simplest case, you'd have a SCHED_FIFO
> > task which talks to the hardware, and which has a helper task which reads
> > and writes stuff from and to disk. With sufficient buffering and readahead
> > to cover the worst case IO latencies.
>
> A real RT task has hard guarantees and to all intents and purposes you may
> deem the system failed if it ever misses one (arguably if you cannot verify
> it will never miss one).

We know that :) Here, "RT" means "Linux-RT": something which is non-SCHED_OTHER,
and which we'd prefer didn't completely suck.

> The stuff we care about is things like DVD players which tangle with
> sockets, pipes, X11, memory allocation, and synchronization between multiple
> hardware devices all running at slightly incorrect clocks.

Well, that's my point. A well-designed DVD player would have two processes.
One which tangles with the sockets, pipes, disks, etc, and which feeds data into
and out of the SCHED_FIFO task via a shared, mlocked memory region.

What I'm trying to develop here is a set of guidelines which will allow
application developers to design these programs with a reasonable
degree of success.