Re: Penelope builds a kernel

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 20:53:07 EST

Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com>:
> FYI, it's easy to fix, just use the correct ordering of download, transmit,
> delete that sendmail and other MTAs use.

I don't understand what you think you're seeing, but I am sure of
this; if I had been enough of a drug-addled lunatic to allow fetchmail
to delete mail before getting a positive acknowledge from the
downstream MTA, someone in the pool of over two thousand people who have sent
me bug reports and patches would have called me on it some time in the
six years of production use well before *you* entered the picture.

It's likely you're being hosed by an MTA that's sending back bogus 2xx
with MTAs that tell it lies.

Fetchmail *already works the way you recommend* -- as any idiot can
verify by reading the short section of the main driver loop where
dispatch and delete takes place. That's been an invariant of the code
since day one, and you thus clearly have no bloody idea what you are
flaming about.

Don't take my word for it. Go read the code. Until you've done so,
I suggest you take it off-list before you embarrass yourself further.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/