Re: Defining new section for bus driver init

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 21:55:30 EST

> Attached is a patch that creates a new section for device subsystem init
> calls. With it, the root bus init calls are handled just like init calls
> - the section consists of a table of function pointers.
> device_driver_init() iterates over that table and calls each one.
> (device_driver_init() currently happens just before that pci_init() call
> above).
> What do people think about the concept?

Well, it chops out a load of ugly ifdefs, and makes adding support
for a new bus less intrusive than it currently is. I quite like it.

> I will warn that the name is kinda clumsy, but it's the best that I could
> come up with (I wasted my creativity for the day on thinking about
> Penelope). I used "subsystem" because I have alterior motives.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the subject line.
struct BusDriver also conjures up amusing[*] imagery.

One thing I'm wondering about though. Is it possible for a new
bus to be added after boot ? Docking stations etc show up as
children on the root PCI bus, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ah! hotplug PCI USB controller ?

Dave.

[*] I'm easily amused.

--