Re: Softdog support on non-x86

From: Josh Wyatt (josh.wyatt@hcssystems.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 09:19:34 EST

Russell King wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:49:00AM -0500, Josh Wyatt wrote:
> > I'd like to use the software watchdog timer, softdog.c, on the Sparc
> > architecture, using kernel 2.2.17. I used this to build the module:
> > cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.17/drivers/char
> > gcc -c -DMODVERSIONS -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
> > softdog.c
>
> Why are you building it manually? It'd be better to turn it on
> using the configuration tools, and build it in the normal way?

Please CC: me as I am not on the list.

I built the module manually precisely because I did not want to rebuild
the entire kernel and module set just to get this one module.

Perhaps I do not understand the correct approach to building individual
modules, on an existing tree.

What's the documented, correct approach to only building a single
module, starting with menuconfig, such that it will happily fit in with
the currently running kernel and modules? I notice that many
drivers/modules happily include the correct gcc incantation (in comment)
for doing exactly this, and many do not.

And finally, back to my original question, is it a mute point? Is the
softdog an Intel-only thing?

Thanks,
josh