Re: Two issues with 2.4.18pre3 on PPC

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 12:05:54 EST

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 05:37:37PM +0100, benh@kernel.crashing.org wrote:
> >- The generic RTC driver in drivers/char/rtc.c does not work for this
> > iBook. The driver in drivers/macintosh/rtc.c does work, but it only
> > implements the two ioctls RTC_RD_TIME and RTC_SET_TIME. (Is this due to
> > hardware limitations?) Anyway, it is confusing to have both drivers
> > configurable for PPC, maybe the corresponding Config.in files should be
> > adjusted. (In addition, this is complicated by the fact that both
> > configuration options appear in different submenus and if you select
> > both as modules, then the generic driver will "shadow" the macintosh
> > one.)
>
> That's a weirdness we haven't solved yet. Part of the problem is
> that a common kernel can boot pmac, chrp and prep, and the later
> ones can use the drivers/char/rtc.c driver. Actually, the
> drivers/macintosh/rtc.c one may work on these too as it's just
> a wrapper on some platform code selected at runtime depending on
> the machine class.

drivers/macintosh/rtc.c works on every PPC system, except for APUS (they
have their own generic rtc driver from m68k they use). This is a know
'issue' with 2.4, that's not really solvable for the reason Ben
mentioned. In 2.5 hopefully we'll replace drivers/char/rtc.c with a
generic rtc driver (and remove the PPC, MIPS and m68k generic drivers at
the same time).

Eric, do you think you could modify the CONFIG_RTC help entry to mention
that on PPC you should use the CONFIG_PPC_RTC option and not CONFIG_RTC,
if in doubt? That's probably the best fix for 2.4.x

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/