Re: CML2-2.1.3 is available

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 13:29:32 EST

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 11:38 am, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> At this point the rules are compiled and a dialog box indicates that
> Suppression has been turned off (press any key to continue). I hit any key
> and am presented with the first menu.

Ah, I understand the bug.

That dialog indicates that your existing .config (the one it loaded the
symbols from) is setting a symbol that is ordinarily suppressed. (One your
dependency list thinks you shouldn't have access to, like a piece of
Alpha-only hardware during an X86 configuration session.)

It found it, noticed that setting it would be inconsistent with the existing
rulebase's dependencies, and let you know that it had to turn suppression off
in order to access it. That's not the bug (although it implies that either
your .config is really weird, or there's a rulebase error suppressing
something that shouldn't be). It just triggers the bug.

Turning off suppression will also make frozen symbols show up, as you
noticed. This is where an old bug I already got Eric to patch resurfaced. :)

The "menu freezing" bug is a menuconfig display problem. It happens because
you can't select a frozen symbol: it skips to the next one when you cursor
over it. If EVERY symbol in the menu is frozen, when you first try to
display the menu it goes into an endless loop trying to figure our what
symbol to put the cursor on.

I told Eric about this earlier, and he hid all the frozen symbols (which he
intended to do anyway). A menu with no visible symbols won't show up.

But when you turn off suppression, the menu gets unhidden, and the bug comes
back.

Eric, you wanna take another swing at it?

Rob