Re: clarification about redhat and vm

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:21:49 EST

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:26:07PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > If redhat doesn't use the -aa VM into their kernels that's either a
> > > political decision or they're not good enough at the VM. I can tell you
> >
> > If you want to insult the Red Hat people please don't do it from a SuSE
> > address. There are some great people at SuSE and I somehow doubt you speak
> > for the management or major stockholders (ibm etc)
>
> do you plan to sue me as well? :)
>
> "If redhat doesn't use the -aa VM " was a short form of "if redhat
> cannot see the goodness of all the bugfixing work that happened between
> the 2.4.9 VM and any current branch 2.4, and so if they keep shipping
> 2.4.9 VM as the best one for DBMS and critical VM apps like the SAP
> benchmark".

Redhat's 2.4.9 is about as close to 2.4.9 as your 2.4.18-aa is
to 2.4.17.

If you want to judge Redhat by vanilla 2.4.9, I guess we should
start judging -aa based on measuring 2.4.17 ;)

regards,

Rik

--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document