Re: [STATUS 2.5] January 17, 2001

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 19:38:11 EST

> Have you heard anything about when Linus intends to code freeze? In my
> planning I am assuming Sept. 30 is way earlier than 2.6 would ship. I
> remember how long 2.4 took, and I simply assume 2.6 will be the same.
> At any rate, there is no way we'll be done earlier than September: it
> is a deep rewrite. Code looks so much better than the old code...., but
> it is completely new code.

If Linus says september freezes in september and ships for christmas I will
be most suprised. If he says september freezes the may after and ships the
december after that I'd count it normal

Personally I'd really like to see the block I/O stuff straightened out. The
neccessary VM bits done, device driver updates and a September freeze. I
think it can be done, and I think the resulting kernel will be way way
better for people with 1Gb+ of RAM, so much better that its worth making a
clear release at that point.

Alan