Re: Is there anyway to use 4M pages on x86 linux in user level?

From: DervishD (raul@viadomus.com)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 18:18:23 EST

    Hello Brian :)

>> The entries in the GDT, do not set the page size for that
>> descriptor? I'm certainly rusted on the i386 O:)))
>No, there is a bit in the page directory that determines if the entry
>points to a page table (with 4KB pages) or to a 4MB page. The GDT is
>only used for segmentation, which is totally seperate from paging.

    That was my confusion: I forgot that the i386 does segmentation
AND paging. Thanks for the help :) I've taking a look at a book that
I had gathering dust (maybe 8 years...), by Douglas V.Hall. I must
take a really *deep* read into it and other i386 documentation before
getting in this kind of conversations O:)). Thanks again for your help.

    Raśl