Re: [STATUS 2.5] January 18, 2002

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 17:42:11 EST

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:24:55PM +0100, you [Jakob Østergaard] claimed:

> That would be *very* nice indeed. Even if it was only for things like NFS
> and SMBFS.
>
> And even if it is unsafe - it's a lot better to be able to say "screw
> those pending writes", than to have to say "screw the pending writes by
> rebooting the system".

Last time this was discussed on the list, Tigran Aivazian mentioned this
patch:

http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/forced-umount-2.4.9.patch

I haven't tested it, but it seems better than "fuser -k -m /fs" (and the
problem I've faced is that if there's something wrong (like HW level IO
problems) kill -KILL won't work).

-- v --

v@iki.fi