Re: Hardwired drivers are going away?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 21:25:18 EST

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:04:00 -0800,
Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au> wrote:
>ksymoops doesn't know what modules were loaded at the time
>of the crash, and it doesn't know where they were loaded.

/var/log/ksymoops. man insmod and look for ksymoops assistance.

>The `klogd -x' problem has been with us for *years* and
>distributors still persist in turning it on.

Tell me about it :(.

>It assumes too much. Arjan has a kksymoops thingy which does the symbol
>resolution at crash-time.

It can only get symbols that are in /proc/ksyms, i.e. the exported
symbols. Proper crash analysis needs the full symbol table.

>It also
>handles the common case where the running vmlinux/System.map/etc no longer
>exist.

So does ksymoops, with reduced detail because it only has exported
symbols.

>I would prefer that all this become easier, simpler and more reliable.
>We need a damn good reason for deprecating statically linked kernels
>and certainly none has been presented yet.

That is a different problem. Saying that modular kernels cause
problems for debugging is not a good enough reason to deprecate modular
kernels, all the problems have been solved.