2.4.18-pre3-ac2 messing up CMOS clock?

From: Jonathan Kamens (jik@kamens.brookline.ma.us)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 22:21:55 EST

Is there any possibility that something in 2.4.18-pre3-ac2 might be
missing up the CMOS clock on my machine (SuperMicro S2DGU motherboard)
where 2.2.19+IDE wasn't?

I'm asking because two odd things started happening recently: (1) my
clock started drifting a lot (i.e., ntpd is resetting it frequently)
and (2) I kept getting BIOS errors during boot about the CMOS clock
being unset.

I assumed that the problem was caused by a dead clock battery, so I
replaced the battery. But it just happened again.

This leaves me with three guesses for what may be causing the problem:
(1) something different about the kernel I started running recently;
(2) something different about Red Hat Rawhide software I just
installed on my machine; or (3) a broken motherboard.

I'd like to try to eliminate (1) or (2) as a possibility before trying
to get SuperMicro and/or the company that sold me the computer to say
anything useful about (3) :-).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.